From the 2021 Clinical Laboratory Educators Conference (CLEC) - Recorded February 26, 2021
Presented by Lauren Brooks, PhD, MLS(ASCP)CM, Elinette Albino, PhD, MT(ASCP) and Andrew Jones, MBA, MLS (ASCP)CM
This speed learning session includes 3 presentations:
- Interactive microbiology case studies: a digital supplement for microbiology lab
- This presentation will focus on a novel digital technique that is a modified case study presentation. The customization and knowledge assessment of the technique will be discussed, as well as the advantages as a supplement to microbiology lab at both hospital- and university-based programs.
- Fundamentals of Molecular Diagnostics in a Resource Constrained Setting
- Rapidly growing technology in molecular laboratories makes the implementation of an up-to-date training program for medical laboratory scientists difficult. Attendees will learn an approach to withstand the rapid changes in technology in the lab environment and still make it as transparent as possible, quickly adapting to the situation due to the strong core knowledge acquired.
- The Molecular Side of Parasitology
- The presentation will be composed of multiple parasite case studies in addition to information on the emerging and available technology in molecular parasitology testing.
At the conclusion of this presentation, participants will be able to
- Create an online interactive case study using Google Forms.
Identify a broad range of testing capabilities utilizing the interactive case studies.
Identify the advantages of this technique in both hospital and university based microbiology labs.
- Identify teaching resources for the lecture format and the laboratory component.
Discuss the major obstacles of a molecular diagnostics laboratory experience and how to deal with it.
Outline examples of laboratory experiences with resource constraints.
- Describe the available molecular parasitology identification platforms.
Identify common parasites.
ASCLS is approved as a provider of continuing education programs in the clinical laboratory sciences by the ASCLS P.A.C.E. ® Program. One (1) P.A.C.E. ® contact hour and one (1) Florida credit hour in the area Education/General will be awarded to participants. ASCLS P.A.C.E.® is accepted by the ASCP/ASCLS/AGT Board of Certification and all states, including Florida and California, as an approved provider of continuing education for recertification and licensure. ASCLS is an approved provider with CE Broker for Florida licensees.
LEVEL OF INSTRUCTION
This intermediate-level program is appropriate for laboratory professionals working in clinical, public health and academic settings.