From the 2022 Clinical Laboratory Educators Conference (recorded 3/14/2022)
Presented by Lynnett Paneitz, MA, MLS(ASCP)CM and Carla Simpson, MAEd, MT(ASCP)
This speed learning session includes 2 presentations:
Using Your Learning Management System as an LIS
- Exposing students to laboratory information systems (LIS) can be challenging in non-hospital based programs. Using your learning management system can help simulate the real world experience of using a LIS. This presentation will have examples of how to use the tools already at your disposal to provide a more realistic student laboratory experience.
- Let’s explore various tools that can lead students to be involved in active, and interactive, learning. This session is designed to help those who want to go outside of the ordinary lecture, want to spice it up, or who want to make the students sit back later and marvel on how you helped them learn. The difficulty level of what we teach at MLT and MLS level does not mean that an equal level of confusion and misunderstanding must exist with our students.
At the conclusion of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Summarize the ways in which a learning management system can be used as a laboratory information system (LIS).
- Identify successful techniques to using a learning management system as an LIS.
- Identify challenges to using a learning management system as an LIS.
- Summarize the usefulness (and fun) that can come from a “Toolbox”.
- Identify potential activities and strategies that can be adapted from elementary or secondary learning curriculums.
- Discuss some toolbox strategies and how you can implement into Medical Laboratory disciplines to help students become part of a “learner-centered” classroom.
ASCLS is approved as a provider of continuing education programs in the clinical laboratory sciences by the ASCLS P.A.C.E. ® Program. One (1) P.A.C.E. ® contact hour and one (1) Florida credit hour in the area of Education (General) will be awarded to participants. ASCLS P.A.C.E.® is accepted by the ASCP/ASCLS/AGT Board of Certification and all states, including Florida and California, as an approved provider of continuing education for recertification and licensure. ASCLS is an approved provider with CE Broker for Florida licensees.
LEVEL OF INSTRUCTION
This Basic-level program is appropriate for laboratory professionals working in clinical, public health and academic settings.