From the 2022 Clinical Laboratory Educators Conference (recorded 3/15/2022)
Presented by Adrienne Davis Zapfe, EdD, MLS(ASCP)CM & Phyllis Ingham, EdD, MLS(ASCP)CM
This speed learning session includes 2 presentations:
Developing the Professional Identity of MLS/MLT Student Scholars
- Preparing alumni to contribute to the scholarship of our profession begins with supporting the development of a student’s professional identity. Empowering students to become competent consumers of research, modeling participation, and providing opportunities to produce and present scholarship, can graduate alumni who view themselves as contributing members of the greater scholarly community.
- Creating online discussion questions can become more than just a challenge. Often you only have one chance to ask a question that actually compels a student to speak up and become a participant in the conversation. Dry online discussion boards lead to disengaged students and ultimately lackluster learning experiences. Learn how to develop outstanding discussion questions.
At the conclusion of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Describe concepts related to the development of professional identity.
- Discuss a curricular integration pathway of professional scholarship within the curriculum.
- Outline opportunities for students to consume, produce, and present scholarly works.
- Discover the new "twist" about Discussion Boards.
- Examine 5 Tips for Effective Online Discussions
- Learn how discussion questions can create community and reinforce knowledge retention through active learning.
ASCLS is approved as a provider of continuing education programs in the clinical laboratory sciences by the ASCLS P.A.C.E. ® Program. One (1) P.A.C.E. ® contact hour and one (1) Florida credit hour in the area of Education (General) will be awarded to participants. ASCLS P.A.C.E.® is accepted by the ASCP/ASCLS/AGT Board of Certification and all states, including Florida and California, as an approved provider of continuing education for recertification and licensure. ASCLS is an approved provider with CE Broker for Florida licensees.
LEVEL OF INSTRUCTION
This Intermediate-level program is appropriate for laboratory professionals working in clinical, public health and academic settings.