From the 2022 Clinical Laboratory Educators Conference (recorded 3/15/2022)
Presented by Leah Narans, MBA, MT(ASCP) & LaDonna Moreland, MS, MLS(ASCP)CM
This speed learning session includes 2 presentations:
One Year Accelerated MLT Program
- "We need laboratorians NOW!" is what we keep hearing. Meanwhile universities are pumping out microbiologists and chemists that can't find jobs. Our program has been successfully running an 11-month Accelerated MLT program for over 15 years with great outcomes. Come learn how to streamline MLT education while maintaining both 100 percent BOC pass rates and 100 percent job placement rates.
- As applications for allied health programs increase, many programs have become more stringent in their admission of students. This presentation will identify the implicit bias one may have when considering a prospective student who does not present as the ideal candidate, as well as discuss creative and appropriate ways to address implicit bias during the college admissions process.
At the conclusion of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Compare a traditional 2 year program to an accelerated 11 month program
- Discover opportunities for accelerated learning
- Discuss the 'right' student for accelerated learning
- Define implicit bias in the context of the college admissions process.
- Discuss ways to assess a prospective student’s intellectual abilities and academic success.
- Identify strategies to reduce stereotype threats.
ASCLS is approved as a provider of continuing education programs in the clinical laboratory sciences by the ASCLS P.A.C.E. ® Program. One (1) P.A.C.E. ® contact hour and one (1) Florida credit hour in the area of Education (General) will be awarded to participants. ASCLS P.A.C.E.® is accepted by the ASCP/ASCLS/AGT Board of Certification and all states, including Florida and California, as an approved provider of continuing education for recertification and licensure. ASCLS is an approved provider with CE Broker for Florida licensees.
LEVEL OF INSTRUCTION
This Basic-level program is appropriate for laboratory professionals working in clinical, public health and academic settings.