From the 2022 Clinical Laboratory Educators Conference (recorded 3/16/2022)
Christine Nielsen, BHA, MLT(CSMLS) & Nadine Lerret, PhD, MLS(ASCP)CM
This speed learning session includes 2 presentations:
Creating Boundaries of Simulation for Clinical Practicum - MLS in Canada
- Learn how Canada created a guidance document for educators and program accreditors to allow for the use of simulation in the obtainment and sign off of competencies traditionally done in practicum settings. How did we mobilize stakeholders to achieve this? What are the lessons learned? Is there such a thing as too much simulation?
- Today’s educator needs to be able to connect with students encompassing a wide variety of ages, backgrounds, and life experiences. This presentation will identify ways to create a course and classroom environment that helps students feel connected and engaged while still delivering the necessary content to be successful laboratory professionals.
At the conclusion of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Summarize the depth and breadth of the use of simulation in Canada for MLS
- Classify the competencies deemed suitable to simulate
- Consider if such a model may be helpful for MLS educators in the US
- Identify the challenges facing educators and course directors in our field.
- Summarize strategies educators can utilize to engage students from varied backgrounds and education levels.
- List changes that can be made to a course in order to foster connected students who successfully master the course content.
ASCLS is approved as a provider of continuing education programs in the clinical laboratory sciences by the ASCLS P.A.C.E. ® Program. One (1) P.A.C.E. ® contact hour and one (1) Florida credit hour in the area of Education (General) will be awarded to participants. ASCLS P.A.C.E.® is accepted by the ASCP/ASCLS/AGT Board of Certification and all states, including Florida and California, as an approved provider of continuing education for recertification and licensure. ASCLS is an approved provider with CE Broker for Florida licensees.
LEVEL OF INSTRUCTION
This Basic-level program is appropriate for laboratory professionals working in clinical, public health and academic settings.