From the 2023 Clinical Laboratory Educators Conference
Presented by Kristen Pesavento, EdD, MLS(ASCP)CM, and Dana Baker, MBA, MS, MLS(ASCP)
This session includes two presentations:
The Difficult Task of Teaching Soft Skills
Laboratory educators have mastered the ability to teach scientific disciplines but may not fully address the additional interpersonal skills needed to thrive in a workplace environment. Incorporation of opportunities to facilitate the importance of communication, emotional intelligence and leadership, students can harness the competencies necessary to not only lead in the lab, but all healthcare.
The Toxic Effect: Addressing Toxicity in the Academic Environment
Toxic learning environments can have a negative impact on students as it relates to psychological and emotional safety. Issues such as conflict, frustration, and stress can result from the toxicity experienced in some academic settings. In this session, we will discuss toxic classroom culture and explore strategies to mitigate toxicity when encountered in the learning environment.
At the conclusion of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Define the scope of soft skills.
- Determine educational methodology to incorporate these concepts into a laboratory curriculum.
- Identify opportunities for inclusion of soft skill practice by laboratory students.
- Describe toxic learning environments and discuss the various causes of toxicity in the academic setting.
- Explain the potential effects of a toxic learning environment on the learning and performance abilities of students.
- Explore strategies of how to mitigate toxic culture from the academic environment to support positive learning experiences.
This recorded presentation is P.A.C.E. ® accredited. One (1) P.A.C.E. ® contact hour and one (1) Florida credit hour in the area GEN will be awarded to participants. ASCLS P.A.C.E.® is accepted by the ASCP/ASCLS/AGT Board of Certification and all states, including Florida and California, as an approved provider of continuing education for recertification and licensure. ASCLS is an approved provider with CE Broker for Florida licensees.
LEVEL OF INSTRUCTION
This Basic-level program is appropriate for laboratory professionals working in clinical, public health and academic settings.