From the 2023 Clinical Laboratory Educators Conference
Presented by Linsey Donner, PhD, MLS(ASCP)CM, and Paula Mister, MS, MLS(ASCP)SM
This session includes two presentations:
Standardizing Microbiology Laboratory Preparations: Maximizing the Learning Experience for Instructors and Students
Microbiology laboratory sessions have a variety of challenges extending from pre-lab preparations, day-of lab set-up, and discrepancies among learner results and instructor feedback during lab. This session will discuss the creation of a microbiology lab instructor manual which allows for standardized lab sessions to improve the learning experience for students and instructors.
What's New in the Micro Lab: Impact on Clinical Rotations
This session will review typical program expectations for students in clinical microbiology rotations, and explain the challenges of meeting requirements amid massive changes in technology currently occurring in many labs. Participation of attendees is encouraged, to elicit ideas to provide applicable, quality experiences for students that realistically prepares them for careers in the current laboratory environment.
At the conclusion of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Discuss the challenges in teaching laboratory classes.
- Explain the benefits of standardizing laboratory classes ranging from preparation to in-class session.
- Develop an understanding of how to create a standardized instructor laboratory manual.
- Briefly review traditional expectations for MLT/MLS students in clinical microbiology rotations.
- Describe current and developing automation in microbiology and its impact on student rotation experiences.
- List suggestions for working with clinical sites to modify student activities for a great experience during a highly automated microbiology rotation
This recorded presentation is P.A.C.E. ® accredited. One (1) P.A.C.E. ® contact hour and one (1) Florida credit hour in the area GEN will be awarded to participants. ASCLS P.A.C.E.® is accepted by the ASCP/ASCLS/AGT Board of Certification and all states, including Florida and California, as an approved provider of continuing education for recertification and licensure. ASCLS is an approved provider with CE Broker for Florida licensees.
LEVEL OF INSTRUCTION
This Intermediate-level program is appropriate for laboratory professionals working in clinical, public health and academic settings.