From the 2023 Clinical Laboratory Educators Conference
Presented by Melissa Wyatt, MS, MLS(ASCP)CM, and Adrienne Davis Zapfe, EdD, MLS(ASCP)CM
This session includes two presentations:
Increasing Student Engagement and Retention through Service
This session explores using service projects to increase student engagement and retention. Service learning can increase leadership and interpersonal skills when incorporated into the MLS curriculum.
MLS Interprofessional Service Learning: Lessons Learned At-Home and Abroad
As MLS educators prepare students to contribute to the service of this profession, service-learning opportunities can be offered to further student experience outside of the classroom and practicum settings. Through community-based partnerships, students can achieve clinical skills and learn the value of critical thinking, communication, teamwork, and cultural competence.
At the conclusion of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Explain how service learning can increase leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Develop methods to incorporate service learning into the MLS curriculum.
- Create service projects to increase student engagement and retention.
- Describe the integration of MLS service learning into an interprofessional collaborative experience with students and faculty from other allied health disciplines.
- Discuss delivery of hands-on patient care, procurement of supplies and development of educational materials, effective communication with patients and interpreters, and navigating challenges in the clinical setting.
- Review examples of opportunities locally in Cincinnati, Ohio and abroad in Cancun, Mexico to illustrate components of service through real-life experiences
This recorded presentation is P.A.C.E. ® accredited. One (1) P.A.C.E. ® contact hour and one (1) Florida credit hour in the area GEN will be awarded to participants. ASCLS P.A.C.E.® is accepted by the ASCP/ASCLS/AGT Board of Certification and all states, including Florida and California, as an approved provider of continuing education for recertification and licensure. ASCLS is an approved provider with CE Broker for Florida licensees.
LEVEL OF INSTRUCTION
This Intermediate-level program is appropriate for laboratory professionals working in clinical, public health and academic settings.